Sunday, October 23, 2005

The White Sox Bandwagon

It filled up quickly after the destruction of the Red Sox, so I'm pleased to have hitched a seat sometime after Game 1 of that series.

Okay, we get that the White Sox haven't been in a series since 1959. This statement seems grossly unfair. No newspaper or pundit ever said, "This is the first World Series the Red Sox have played in since 1986!" during their run last year. The phrase "The White Sox haven't won a World Series since 1917" seems so much more appropriate. "It's been 88 years!" should be a rallying call.

Is this the first series since 1985 (Cardinals-Royals) to take place solely in the Central Time Zone? Who looks up these things? I guess I do. Nevermind; the Twins beat the Cardinals in 1987.

I would like to thank Houston for finally getting this far. I recall picking them to win the sorry Central back in the early '00s (2000 and 2001, I believe), only to sit helpless as the Cardinals won in 2000 and the Braves crushed the Bagwell-Biggio-Berkman-Alou Astros. They fell out of my favor, and it is justice that the White Sox will win now. Except that I like the man behind Junction Jack better than I like the girl behind whatever the White Sox mascot is.

The White Sox have spinning mints on their scoreboard. This is key. And I like Jeff, the man who runs the show at We're-A-Cellphone-Company-That-Bought-The-Stadium-Name-But-Everyone-Still-Calls-It-Comiskey-Park.

White Sox in 5. I'd imagine Roy Oswalt or Andy Pettite will step up for a game. Brandon Backe is either going to get hammered or pitch a 1-hitter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home